A quick and easy soup with cauliflower and broccoli along with plenty of cheese!
This cauliflower, broccoli and cheese soup is one of my all time favourites; pure comfort food in a bowl. It’s super easy to make, only requiring one pot, and it takes very little time! The stars of the show are the cauliflower and broccoli and you can use either fresh or frozen. The base of the soup starts with the usually soup veggies: onions carrot and celery, and it’s seasoned simply with garlic, thyme, dijon mustard and a pinch of nutmeg. The cauliflower and broccoli are simmered in broth until tender and then they can be left as bite sized pieces, or they can be mashed partially, or you can completely puree until smooth! (I like all options and alternate between them!) Once everything is cooked, the cream and cheese is added and when the cheese has melted it’s ready to enjoy! This soup stores well in the fridge or freezer and it reheats well, just don’t bring it to a boil when reheating to prevent the cheese from clumping.
- 1 tablespoon butter (or oil)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced (optional)
- 1 cup celery, diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 pound (~3-4 cups) cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 pound (~3-4 cups) broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups sharp/old/aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onions, carrots, and celery, and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme, mix, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, cauliflower, and broccoli, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and mash, or puree, to get the desired consistency.
- Add the dijon mustard, nutmeg, cream, and cheese and cook (without bringing to a boil) until the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Slow Cooker: Place everything except the cream and cheese in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or high for 2-4 hours before adding the cream and cheese and cooking until the cheese has melted.
Option: Use your favourite cheese!
Option: Add 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated.
Option: Add hot sauce or cayenne to taste!
Nutrition Facts: Calories 458, Fat 34g (Saturated 19g, Trans 0.5g), Cholesterol 109mg, Sodium 613mg, Carbs 21g (Fiber 4g, Sugars 8g), Protein 19g